Friday, July 17, 2015

Review: GREY By E.L. James

Title: GREY
Author: E L James
Published Date: June 18th 2015

See the world of Fifty Shades of Grey anew through the eyes of Christian Grey.

In Christian's own words, and through his thoughts, reflections, and dreams, E L James offers a fresh perspective on the love story that has enthralled millions of readers around the world.


Christian Grey exercises control in all things; his world is neat, disciplined, and utterly empty—until the day that Anastasia Steele falls into his office, in a tangle of shapely limbs and tumbling brown hair. He tries to forget her, but instead is swept up in a storm of emotion he cannot comprehend and cannot resist. Unlike any woman he has known before, shy, unworldly Ana seems to see right through him—past the business prodigy and the penthouse lifestyle to Christian’s cold, wounded heart.  

Will being with Ana dispel the horrors of his childhood that haunt Christian every night? Or will his dark sexual desires, his compulsion to control, and the self-loathing that fills his soul drive this girl away and destroy the fragile hope she offers him?

This book is intended for mature audiences.
(Synopsis Provided By Goodreads)

I can't believe it's finally here and I've read it and I loved it. Now I want the next one. *GRABBY HANDS* I guess this is the Grey fever that had me ploughing through the first three? Grey is what I expected it to be and more. Overall this story seemed to bring Christian Grey into a more human light. For those who hated the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy, I don't think you'll find anything here that'll change your mind. For those who loved the series like I, you'll be satisfied ;) It is all about Christian Grey, what more did we want?


There are three main things I want to touch upon in this review. First being that Christian Grey is a lot funnier than I thought he could be. Since this entire book is in his perspective, we get to see his inner monologue and thoughts through all the moments we only experienced with Anastasia. For example the first encounter in the office, to the spanking right after grad, all scenes that were made a little more humourous and light hearted in Grey because instead of seeing all of Christian's actions as cold and calculated from Fifty Shades of Grey, he was actually having 'fun' with her in his mind. I got a sense of why he did these things was because he want to show affection and adoration for Ana which I never really understood in the original series.

Second point I want to bring up is how Christian's emotions are in Grey. What I was most anticipating was the scene where Christian leaves Anastasia's place and she ends up crying all night only to have him back at her place in the end. I always wanted to know what he was thinking/feeling. Let me say it was everything I wanted and more! From Ana's POV we see him so flustered with emotions in that scene; I was always unclear as what he was feeling. From Christian's POV in Grey, we got to see how torn he was that Ana was hurt. It was like reading a male's mind when their girlfriend or female is upset, it was really eye opening and sort of heart warming? As dark, twisty and angsty he presents himself in the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy, he becomes a little more human in this book.

The third important point I want to bring up about Grey is how it differs and is similar to Fifty Shades of Grey. Reading Grey was a unique experience because we get to see Christian's take on the love between him and Anastasia. Also we get to be around Christian the ENTIRE book. It was awesome! I can't say it was dramatically different however. The story is the same. It is as though we are reading from chapter to chapter in Christian's perspective. Albeit, there are times when Ana is off doing her own thing and we get new scenes of Christian in his own offices or house alone. Once again these scenes were so crucial in making Grey worth reading to me because it was in these moments we get to see him reflect and explain himself. The biggest difference in the book from the original, in my opinion, was Christian Grey's character was a lot more approchable and emotional. Biggest similarity to Fifty Shades of Grey? The relationship of Anastasia and Christian was pretty much the same. I was hoping for a deeper connection now that we get to read Christian's thoughts and feelings in their relationship but was disappointed when I finished the book having no new feels for the two.

Some other thoughts on Grey were Mrs. Robinson's and Christian's relationship was made less annoying. When I read from Ana's POV about Mrs. Robinson and her involvement with Christian, I automatically felt skeptical about her and wanted her gone from Christian's life. From Christian's perspective I felt an entirely different way, which was really shocking to me because I REALLY disliked her throughout the series. I'm not saying I love her now, I am saying that I understand where Christian stands when it comes to his relationship with Mrs. Robinson. I believe him now when he said nothing is between them. I guess this was because from Christian's mind, he viewed her as any other close 'acquaintance' he kept around. He tolerated her a little more than the usual but there was never any sexual or loving vibe between the two - at least I never got that vibe reading Grey.


I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.

What can I say, Grey was such an enjoyable read! Such an experience to see the world of Christian and Ana through HIS eyes! This book at most, I think, makes Christian more human and loving. Christian's and Ana's relationship is no different; it's still amazing to me and Grey didn't detract from that! If anything it just made the world of Christian and Ana a little more well rounded! I hope James continues to write the other two books, Fifty Shades Darker & Fifty Shades Freed, from Christian's perspective! (I know plenty of people think this is a money grab but honestly? It's entertaining & simply fun to read!)

What did you think of GREY? Please let me know in the comments below if you've read it, would love to discuss with you lovely lot!

AS ALWAYS,
HAPPY READING!
-SHERRY

No comments:

Post a Comment